Saturday, November 24, 2012

2 quotes, 1 visual. #4

These snatches of words come from "Runemarks" (Joanne Harris).  500 years after Ragnarok, it's Order vs. the old gods & dreams.  The Word vs. runes & cantrips.  A wonderful read.

"Maddy shook her head, still puzzled. "So what you're saying is....I shouldn't play with fire," she said at last.
  "Of course you should," said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire plays back."
(page 35, paragraph 5)
    This conversation gave me a laugh. A wonderful piece of advice for Maddy as well as anyone who dances with flames.

"Loki waved his hand dismissively. "Gods? Don't let that impress you.  Anyone can be a god if they have enough worshipers.  You don't even have to have powers anymore......you peope see gods everywhere. Gives you an excuse for not thinking for yourselves."  (page 102, paragraph 5)
     The Northern pantheon have such twists & turns, such complexities.  Much more enjoyable to read about than the Greeks/Romans. I have an innate aversion to ancient Rome, to begin with. Plus, the Northern gods are much closer to my heart than any other.

    Even though Harris' writing drew me in within the first chapter, letting me see the world that I was reading, it took me a good few pages to find a visual I felt strong enough to share.  Here it is:

"But the icicles were the least of a thousand wonders that filled the cavernous hall. There were strands of filigree no thicker than a spiders' web; there were flowers of glass with leaves of frozen gauze; there were sapphires & emeralds growing out of the walls; there were acres of floor smoother than marble, fit for a million dancing princesses."  (page 164, paragraph 5)

     This book has a permanent place on my bookshelves, with space given for the sequel "Runelight" (hopefully a purchase I can make for my birthday :).

No comments:

Post a Comment