Saturday, June 15, 2013

2 Quotes, 1 Visual, #22

After I picked up a copy of Neverwhere , I decided to buy a copy of the book. The series & the book are lovely close, thankfully.  It is an enjoyable read, to be able to put words to visuals. The novel allows for expansion on details, adding delicious context to a tale of loss, lost, found, danger, murder, & love all set in one of my favorite cities, London.  This is a tale of two worlds, almost parallel universes, intersecting & flowing smoothly, if not invisibly, together & through. 

Quote 1: "It was a Friday afternoon.  Richard had noticed that events were cowards: they didn't occur singly, but instead they would run in packs and leap out at him all at once."   (page 13, paragraph 2)
   Neil Gaiman has this wonderful talent of putting together words describing commonalities in uncommon situations (uncommon to the reader, at least). 

Quote 2: " She glanced at the little fires across the room. Then she looked back at Richard.  She smiled again.  "Do you like cat?" she said.   "Yes," said Richard.  "I quite like cats."  Anaesthesia looked relieved.  "Thigh?" she asked.  "Or breast?"
   It is  a smooth storyteller, who can get me to laugh at such words, even though I am a cat lover, through & through.  I felt Richard's shock & sadness when Anaesthesia died.

1 Visual: "Richard realized that he could not tell what color her eyes were.  They were not blue, or green, or brown, or gray; they reminded him of fire opals: there were burning greens and blues, and even reds and yellows that vanished and glinted as she moved."  (page 39, paragraph 3)
   ooooo...I want those eyes!

Come Winter, when the colder winds blow ice out of the sky, this is one of the tales I will re-read to transport me to a different sort of weather.  I thoroughly enjoyed this tale & rather wish Mr. Gaiman would write a sequel as to how Door's sister is found.

3 comments:

  1. I did not know there was any visual goodness for Neverwhere! Now, I must watch...

    The cat, thigh or breast question made me giggle. I know it's cruel, but like you said, Neil has a way with words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should think that the setting of London Below should be pleasing, in it's darkness ;)

      Delete